Hugo is going Global! Hugo 0.17, released today, is our best and fastest release ever! Hugo 0.17 is nearly twice as fast as Hugo 0.16 and adds full support for multilingual websites with i18n support throughout all of Hugo.
Hugo is going global with our 0.17 release. We put a lot of thought into how we could extend Hugo to support multilingual websites with the most simple and elegant experience. Hugo’s multilingual capabilities rival the best web and documentation software, but Hugo’s experience is unmatched. If you have a single language website, the simple Hugo experience you already love is unchanged. Adding additional languages to your website is simple and straightforward. Hugo has been completely internally rewritten to be multilingual aware with translation and internationalization features embedded throughout Hugo.
Hugo continues its trend of each release being faster than the last. It’s quite a challenge to consistently add significant new functionality and simultaneously dramatically improve performance. @bep has made it his personal mission to apply the Go mantra of “Enable more. Do less” to Hugo. Hugo’s consistent improvement is a testament to his brilliance and his dedication to his craft. Hugo is further benefited from the performance improvements from the Go team in the Go 1.7 release.
This release represents over 300 contributions by over 70 contributors to the main Hugo code base. Since last release Hugo has gained 2000 stars, 50 new contributors and 20 additional themes.
Hugo now has:
- 12,000 stars on GitHub
- 370+ contributors
- 110+ themes
Multilingual Support: Hugo now supports multiple languages side-by-side. A single site can now have multiple languages rendered with full support for translation and i18n.
Performance: Hugo is faster than ever! Hugo 0.17 is not only our fastest release, it’s also the most efficient. Hugo 0.17 is nearly twice as fast as Hugo 0.16 and uses about 10% less memory. This means that the same site will build in nearly half the time it took with Hugo 0.16. For the first time Hugo sites are averaging well under 1ms per rendered content.
Docs overhaul: This release really focused on improving the documentation. Gohugo.io is more accurate and complete than ever.
Support for Mac OS Sierra
- Multilingual support #2303
- Allow content expiration #2137
- New templates functions:
- Render the shortcodes as late as possible ed0985
- Remove unneeded casts in page.getParam #2186
- Automatic page date fallback #2239
- Enable safeHTMLAttr #2234
- Add TODO list support for markdown #2296
- Make absURL and relURL accept any type #2352
- Suppress ‘missing static’ error #2344
- Make summary, wordcount etc. more efficient #2378
- Better error reporting in
- Reproducible builds thanks to govendor #2461
- Fix shortcode in markdown headers #2210
- Explicitly bind livereload to hugo server port #2205
- Fix Emojify for certain text patterns #2198
- Normalize file name to NFC #2259
- Ignore emacs temp files #2266
- Handle symlink change event #2273
- Fix panic when using URLize #2274
hugo import jekyll: Fixed target path location check #2293
- Return all errors from casting in templates #2356
- Fix paginator counter on x86-32 #2420
- Fix half-broken self-closing shortcodes #2499